When my daughter was younger, I used to pick her up from working out at the gym and she would say, “Can we have, like, salmon, brown rice and broccoli for dinner?”
Why is it that when we feel like we’re doing something good for our bodies like exercise, it spurs us on to do even more good things?
After I exercise, especially if it’s warm weather like we’re having now, I crave a green juice or smoothie. Today I made the smoothie. I’ll give you my basic recipe, but then you can add whatever you’d like to suit your taste!
- 2 large kale leaves
- ½ cucumber
- ½ - 1 rib celery
- ¼ lemon
- 1" fresh ginger
- fruit, if desired
- sweetener, if desired
- 2 cups cold water
- ice cubes
- Wash and trim off bottom of kale stems. Tear leaves into fourths.
- Peel cucumber half if not organic. Cut into fourths.
- Wash celery and cut into fourths.
- Remove seeds from lemon. If it's organic, you can use it rind and all. If not organic, cut rind off.
- Slice ginger against the grain.
- Prepare fruit, if desired.
- Place all in blender.
- Add sweetener and any other optional ingredients, if desired.
- Add water.
- Add ice and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy immediately for a pick-me-up any time of the day!
1 or 2 dates
1 apple, cored
1/2 cup berries
Stevia, honey, pure maple syrup, etc.
1 cup yogurt
1 T seeds - hemp, chia or flax
supplements like bee pollen, turmeric, or herbal tinctures
This version is my almost daily, fruity, light-but-nutrient-dense smoothie, but the possibilities of what you can do with it are endless. Make sure to return for more nutritious recipes to come!
What’s your favorite combination? Do you prefer the more acidic type smoothies or the creamy type? Do you add any nutritional supplements? Feel free to share…